- 1 C sushi rice
- 1 Tbl caster sugar
- 5 Tbl rice vinegar
- 100 g sushi-grade fresh fish fillet (such as salmon, tuna, ocean trout or kingfish)
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber, peeled
- 1/2 avocado
- 4 nori sheets
- Wasabi, to taste
- Pickled ginger, to serve
- Japanese soy, to serve
- Rinse rice under cold water and drain well. Place rice and 470 ml of water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Decrease heat to low and simmer uncovered for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand with lid on for a further 10 minutes.
- Place rice in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, 2 tablespoons of vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt, and pour over rice. Stir to combine. Cover a flat tray with aluminum foil and spread rice on it to cool. The rice should be completely cool before using.
- Choose from a variety of fillings. (E.g. fresh salmon and tuna, cucumber and avocado.) Prepare the fish and vegetables by slicing into batons about 5 cm long. Set aside. Meanwhile, combine remaining vinegar and 300 ml cold water in a bowl.
- Place 1 nori sheet, shiny-side down, on a bamboo mat (or non-stick baking paper). Make sure longest edge of nori is at top of mat. Dip hands in water mixture (to prevent rice from sticking) and spread a quarter of rice over bottom two-thirds of nori, leaving a small border around edge.
- Spread a thin line of wasabi along the middle of the rice and arrange a little of the fish and vegetables alongside the wasabi. Gently lift the end of the mat closest to you, and roll it over the ingredients to enclose. Roll tightly enough to make the roll stick/have a round shape.
- Continue rolling the mat forward to make a complete roll. With one hand on top, gently roll mat back and forth a few times to make a nice round shape. Use a sharp knife to slice the rolls at 2 cm intervals. Serve with pickled ginger, soy sauce and extra wasabi.
- Place 2 cups of rice into a mixing bowl and cover with cool water.
- Swirl the rice in the water, pour off and repeat 2-3 times or until the water is clear.
- Place the rice and 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan and place over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, uncovered.
- Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt, and heat in the microwave on high for 30-45 seconds.
- Transfer the rice into a large wooden or glass mixing bowl and add the vinegar mixture.
- Fold thoroughly to combine and coat each grain of rice with the mixture.
- Allow to cool.