- 1 Tbl olive oil
- 2 C onion, chopped
- 2 C carrot, chopped
- 2 C celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 Tbl garlic, minced
- 1 C yellow split peas
- 1 C green peas split
- 8 C fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp salt-free seasoning blend
- 1 tsp salt
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, heat olive oil.
- Cook onion, carrot, celery and garlic until onion is translucent.
- Stir in yellow and green split peas, broth, seasoning and salt.
- Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 2 1/2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Purée with a blender or food processor. Return to pot, heat through, and serve.
- Examine the peas and remove any debris.
- Place 1 cup of peas and 3 cups of water into a 2-quart cooking pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30-40 minutes, covered. The peas should be tender.
- Remove from heat and season to taste.