- 1/2 C white sugar
- 3/4 C unsalted butter
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tbl dark corn syrup
- 3 Tbl chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/3 C granulated sugar for decoration
- 1/3 C confectioners’ sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease 2 large cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add egg white, and corn syrup; mix until fluffy. Stir in the crystallized ginger. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, and cloves; stir into the egg mixture. When dough starts to come together, mix with your hands to form a smooth dough.
- Form dough into 1 inch balls and roll in white sugar. Place balls on a cookie sheet 2 inches apart, and press down with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Cookies should be golden brown. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before moving to a rack to cool completely. Dip 1/2 of each cookie into confectioner’s sugar for decoration.