- 2 C Soybeans, soaked, drained and rinsed
- 1 C Drained canned or cooked corn kernels
- 1 C Sliced celery
- 1/2 C Diced sweet red peppers and green peppers
- 1/4 C Sliced green onions and ripe olives
- 1/4 C Soybean oil (vegetable oil) and white wine vinegar, each
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Combine soybeans (soaked overnight, rinsed, and drained) corn, celery, sweet peppers, green onions, olives and hot peppers in a large bowl; toss to mix.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to blend all ingredients or shake in a cruet until blended.
- Freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Pour dressing over soybean mixture and marinate at least 1 hour.
Note: Consider that one cup of dry soybeans will yield about 2 ½ cups of cooked beans.
- Check the soybeans and remove any damaged beans or debris.
- Rinse the soybeans in water to clean.
- Place the soybeans in a large pot, completely cover the beans with water and soak for at least eight hours. Ensure there is enough water in the pot to cover the beans even after they have expanded.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the pot for each cup of dry beans that you soaked. Stir.
- Place the pot of soaking soybeans on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Skim off foam and hulls off of the liquid’s surface.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 3 hours, or until the soybeans are tender. Check occasionally to see if you need to add more water or skim off foam. When done, the beans will be firm in shape but tender.
- Remove them from the heat, stir, then let sit so the hulls will rise to the surface. Skim off any hulls or foam.