- 1 C uncooked rye berries or wheat berries
- 1/3 C dried cranberries
- 1/3 C organic chocolate raisins
- 1 C thinly sliced celery
- 1/3 C chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 C raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbl finely minced shallots
- 1 Tbl white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbl fresh orange juice
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 C extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the rye berries in a medium-size saucepan and cover with 3 cups of cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the berries are just tender, 45-55 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the fruit, celery, parsley and pumpkin seeds to the rye berries and mix to blend.
- Make the dressing by placing the shallots in a glass jar with the vinegar and orange juice. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients. Shake vigorously to blend.
- Just before serving time, add the dressing to the rye berries and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.