- 1 tsp canola or olive oil
- 1/4 C onion, finely minced
- 1 C Volcano Rice
- 1 ¾ C water
- Sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 C cooked fresh
- English peas or thawed frozen green peas
- 2 Tbl flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 2 minutes, or until tender. Add rice and sauté 1 minute. Add water, salt, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cover, transfer to oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and fluff with a fork. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf and stir in peas and parsley. Add pepper to taste.
- Rinse the Volcano Rice thoroughly with a strainer.
- Fill a medium saucepan with 2 cups of lightly salted water per cup of uncooked Volcano Rice. Water can be substituted for broth.
- Add the rice to the water or broth. Heat the saucepan on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir with a large spoon, then cover the pot.
- Simmer the rice until it is a desired texture. Cooking time is usually 30-45 minutes. Try to remove the lid as little as possible during cooking.
- When rice is done, keep the lid on the pot and let the rice sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Fluff it with a fork.