- 1 C hard red wheat berries, soaked overnight
- 1/2 C wild rice
- 2/3 C pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 C dried cranberries
- 1/2 C fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 C green onions, chopped
- 3 Tbl fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 Tbl honey
- 1 Tbl Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Soak the wheat berries overnight in cold water, covering them 3 inches. Drain the water in the morning.
- Boil the wheat berries in 6 cups of water for about 50-60 minutes, or until tender. Add more water as necessary to keep wheat berries covered during cooking. Drain excess water from the wheat berries when done.
- In another small pot, boil 2 cups of water. Add the wild rice and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the rice begins to split but does not lose its shape too much. Drain excess water.
- Combine the cooked wheat berries and wild rice in a large bowl.
- Whisk the lime juice, honey, mustard, salt, and pepper to make the dressing. Add the dressing to the wheat berries and wild rice. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the cranberries, pecans, parsley, and green onions and combine well.
- To prepare the hard red wheat for cooking, combine 1 cup of wheat and 1 cup of flax seed in an electric coffee grinder.
- Grind for 3 minutes.
- When it is a desired texture, pour into a bowl. Or, grind it for intervals of 2 minutes until it reaches your desired texture.