- 3/4 C red lentils
- 2 C water
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (including the greens)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbl ketchup
- 1 C pinto beans (or 1 ½ C cooked, rinsed and drained pinto beans)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbl oat bran
- 2 Tbl wheat germ
- 1 C cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F, and grease a loaf pan.
- Combine the lentils and water in a medium saucepan and boil until they have completely disintegrated and the mixture is thick and creamy, about 30 minutes. Skim off any foam while cooking.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the chopped vegetables. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt, then stir in the ketchup.
- Put the vegetable mixture, pinto beans, and lentils in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, and mix in the egg, followed by the oat bran, wheat germ, and cheese.
- Smooth this into the greased loaf pan, and then bake for about an hour, or until firm. Remove from the oven, let stand for about 10 minutes. Slice to serve.
- For the stove-top method, add 3 cups of water or broth for every cup of dried beans. The liquid should be about 1-2 inches above the top of the beans.
- Bring the beans to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, partially covering the pot. Skim off any foam during the simmering process.
- Let beans cook for 1-1 ½ hours, or until they are tender. Add more water if cooking longer than 1 ½ hours.