- 1 C cooked navy beans
- 1 C brown rice
- 6 C water
- 20 medium baby carrots
- 1/2 C shelled edamame soybeans
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 2 C fresh green cabbage, chopped
- 1 Tbl curry powder
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- Place all ingredients in a pot and simmer on medium-low heat until nicely blended.
- If you want to reduce cooking time, presoak the beans. Place in a saucepan with 2-3 cups of water for every cup of navy beans. Boil the beans for 2 minutes, take pan off the heat, cover and allow to stand for two hours. Or, soak the beans in water overnight, placing the pan in the refrigerator, so the beans will not ferment.
- Drain the liquid and rinse the beans with clean water.
- For the stove-top method, add 3 cups of fresh water for each cup of dried beans. The liquid should be about 1-2 inches above the top of the beans. Bring the beans to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, partially covering the pot. If any foam develops, simply skim it off.
- Cook for 1 ½ hours, or until tender.
Tip: Do not add salt or acidic seasoning during cooking, because they may make the beans tough.