- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 C long grain brown rice
- 2 cups, plus
- 2 Tbl veggie stock
- 2 Tbl brown rice vinegar
- 1/2 C almonds, roasted and rough chopped
- 1/4 C cilantro or parsley, minced
- 1 green onion, sliced thin along the bias
- Salt, to taste
- Heat sauce pot over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of veggie stock. When hot, add shallots, a pinch of salt and let sweat, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir to combine. When fragrant, add turmeric.
- When onions and garlic are a dark yellow from turmeric, add rice and toast for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining veggie stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- When rice is finished cooking, about 40 minutes, remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Combine rice and vinegar. When combined, add almonds, cilantro and green onions. Serve hot.
- Rinse rice thoroughly 2-3 times. Drain well.
- In a 2-quart saucepan with lid, bring water, 1 tablespoon of oil or butter (optional) and salt to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in rice.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 45-55 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Keep lid tightly closed while cooking.
- Remove lid and fluff cooked rice with a fork and serve. If serving immediately, wipe condensation on the lid to make sure the rice does not become sticky while sitting.