Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- 2 cups dried red lentils or split peas
- 2 cans coconut milk 4 cups water (more if needed to thin to the desired consistency)
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large onion
- diced 3-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. Gathering Place Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Gathering Place Ginger Powder
- 1 tbsp. Gathering Place Brown Mustard Seed
- 1 tbsp. Gathering Place Cumin Seed
- 1 tsp. Gathering Place Cumin Powder
- 1 tbsp. Gathering Place Curry Powder
- 1 tbsp. Gathering Place Turmeric Powder
Sauté onion and minced garlic in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a mid-sized saucepan over medium heat.
When onion is translucent, push it and garlic to the edges of pan and add another tablespoon of coconut oil.
Add brown mustard and cumin seeds to the centre of the pan and cook until they pop.
Add turmeric and curry powder.
Allow the flavours of spices to combine and bubble in coconut oil; add cumin powder, ginger powder, and sea salt.
Add red lentils and water, stir.
Add coconut milk.
Turn heat down to medium-low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Stir frequently, adding more water as necessary to maintain a porridge-like consistency.
Adjust spices to taste and serve over rice, with chutney, and raita. Optionally, garnish with cilantro.