- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked brown basmati rice
- 1 garlic clove, minced 1 cup water
- 1 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons fresh
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add rice and garlic to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until rice is lightly toasted.
- Add 1 cup water, broth, and salt to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in onions, nuts, Parmesan cheese, basil, thyme, and pepper.
- Wash the brown rice well before cooking.
- For a nuttier flavour, roast the brown rice in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Roasted brown rice will need less time to cook.
- Put the rice and water in a pot. Season with salt to taste. Set heat to high and bring to a boil, uncovered. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pot with a lid wrapped in a kitchen towel to absorb the excess liquid. Simmer on low for 35-45 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice sit in the covered pot for 10-20 minutes.
- Drizzle a little oil into the rice and fluff with a fork.