- 4 C water
- 1 ½ C farro
- 2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 lb tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 C fresh chives, snipped
- 1/4 C fresh Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbl balsamic vinegar
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 C extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine the water and farro in a medium saucepan. Add 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the farro is tender, about 30 minutes. Drain well, and then transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, chives, and parsley to the farro, and toss to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Add the vinaigrette to the salad and toss to coat.
- The salad can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- For 1 cup of farro, add 2 ½ cups of salted water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low or medium-low. Cover with a lid and simmer for 15-30 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain any excess water. Allow to cool down.