Clear curried vinaigrette:
- 3 C corn oil
- 1/2 C wine vinegar
- 2 Tbl sugar
- 2 Tbl salt
- 2Tbl pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp mace
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lb dried red lentils
- 1 C currants
- 1/3 C capers
- 1 ½ C red onions, finely chopped
- 2 C cooked leg of lamb, small bite-sized strips (optional)
- In large bowl, whisk together all ingredients for dressing. Set aside.
- Wash lentils. Cook in boiling water 5-6 minutes or until just tender.
- Rinse and drain well, combine with dressing and let sit overnight. At least 2 hours before serving, add capers, currants and onions to lentils. Let marinate.
- Spread lentils out in a single layer on a light coloured work surface. Remove any debris or damaged lentils.
- Place them in a strainer and rinse thoroughly under cold water.
- Measure the lentils, and then place them in a large saucepan or soup pot. Add 2 cups of liquid (water or broth) for every cup of dried lentils.
- Season the lentils with your desired seasoning but do not add salt, which makes the lentils tough.
- Turn stove heat to medium-high. Boil the lentils for 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, then simmer with the lid on for about 45 minutes, or until the beans reach the desired level of tenderness.
- Check the beans often after about 20 minutes as cooking times vary. Red lentils tend to cook faster than other varieties.