- 1 ½ tsp canola oil
- 1 Tbl mild curry powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1/3 C forbidden rice, well rinsed
- 2 C shredded carrots
- 1 C frozen green peas
- 3 C hot chicken broth
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Rinse rice in a pot or rice cooker, cover with water, swoosh around, then drain.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add curry powder, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon, stirring quickly to combine. Crumble in beef and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up clumps, 3-4 minutes, until beef is browned. Stir in rice, carrots, and peas until combined.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover skillet and reduce heat to low. Cook 16 minutes. Remove from heat, keep covered, and let stand 5 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed into the pilaf.
- Uncover and fluff pilaf with a fork. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with lemon wedges.
- Cook 1 part forbidden rice in 2 parts water.
- Bring the water to a boil, cover the pot, reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Still covered, remove the pot from the heat, let sit for 15 minutes, then fluff with a fork.