- 1 ½ C dried lima beans
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- 2 C red onion, vertically sliced
- 3 C fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1C smoked turkey breast, diced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 C sliced collard greens (about 1/2 lb)
- 2 Tbl red wine vinegar
- 2 C diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- Sort and wash beans; place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil, and cook 20 minutes. Remove from heat; drain beans.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-low heat. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes. Add beans, broth, and the next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 375°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Stir in collards, vinegar, and tomatoes. Cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
- Presoak Lima beans. Have four cups of water for every one cup of beans. Soak in a bowl overnight, or for 12 hours. Ensure there is enough room in the bowl for the beans to expand.
- Drain the beans.
- Put the beans into a saucepan with 2-3 cups of water.
- Bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour or until they are at a desired, tender texture.