- 4 C day-old cubed French or Italian bread
- 1 ¾ C nonfat milk
- 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 C sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and coat an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl. Heat milk in a small saucepan until simmering. Whisk in cocoa powder and sugar.
- Place beaten eggs in a small bowl.
- Add about 1/4 cup of the warmed cocoa milk to the eggs, and stir. Then add this cocoa and egg mixture to the rest of the cocoa milk, along with the vanilla.
- Pour liquid over the bread and stir the bread cubes, allowing them to soak up the liquid.
- Empty into baking dish and bake for 45-50 minutes until set.