- 1/4 C tomato, chopped and seeded
- 1/4 C fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbl olive oil
- 1 Tbl cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lime rind, lightly grated
- 1 Tbl fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 8 C iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ C ready-to-eat chicken breast, roasted, skinned, boned, and chopped
- 1 C tomato, chopped
- 1 C green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 C finely diced red onion
- 1/2 C reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ C black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 C fat-free baked tortilla chips
- To prepare vinaigrette, combine first 11 ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- To prepare salad, combine lettuce and remaining ingredients (except chips) in a large bowl. Add vinaigrette; toss well to coat. Serve with chips.
- Pick through dried beans and remove any debris or damaged beans.
- Depending on the age of dried black beans, they could take 2 hours or longer to cook. Fresher dried beans will contain more moisture and take less time to cook. Presoacking black beans overnight will significantly reduce cooking time.
- To presoak, place beans in a container with enough space for the beans to expand. Cover with water, with 2 inches of water above the top of the beans. Refrigerate overnight to avoid fermentation. Drain and rinse well.
- Put the beans in a pot. Cover with water, with 2 inches of water above the top of the beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer (medium-low heat), then simmer for 1-1 ½ hours, or until tender.