- 1 ¾ C whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 C wheat germ, toasted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Scant 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 C unsalted butter
- 1 C natural cane sugar or brown sugar
- large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 C banana chips, loosely chopped
- 1 C chocolate chips
- 2/3 C toasted walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F, racks in middle or upper-middle levels. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, or stand mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy, then beat in the sugar until it is the consistency of a thick frosting. Beat in the eggs one at a time, incorporating each fully before adding the next, and scraping down the sides of the bowl a few times along the way. Stir in the vanilla. Add the reserved flour mix in two increments, stirring/mixing a bit between each addition. Do not stir too much. By hand, stir in the banana chips, chocolate chips and walnuts. Mix just until everything is evenly distributed.
- Drop 1 heaping tablespoon of dough for each cookie onto the prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart and bake for about 7-8 minutes, until barely golden on top and bottom.