- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tbl water
- 1 ½ Tbl white wine
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 ¼ C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 lb tamari roasted almonds
- 1/4 C candied orange peel, chopped
- 3 Tbl toasted almonds, chopped
- 2 ½ Tbl grated bittersweet chocolate
- 1 ½ Tbl amaretto liqueur
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Oil for deep frying
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Whisk together egg yolks, water, wine, and olive oil.
- Sift flour onto a clean workspace and make a well in the centre.
- Pour the liquid into the centre and begin working the flour inward from the sides until you have dough. Knead the dough until smooth. Cover, and set aside.
- Combine the almonds, candied orange, almonds, chocolate, amaretto, vanilla, honey, and cinnamon until well-blended.
- Roll pastry dough in a rectangle to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut 3-inch circles and place 1 tablespoon of filling on each. Fold over and press edges to seal.
- Deep-fry in hot oil until golden and drain on paper towels. Let cool slightly and dust with powdered sugar.