- 1/3 C black quinoa
- 2/3 C water
- 1 C cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 C cucumber, diced
- 1/4 C red onion, diced
- 2 Tbl lime juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin seed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 C baby spinach leaves
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Spread into a mixing bowl, and refrigerate until cold.
- Once the quinoa has chilled, gently stir in the tomatoes, cucumber, and onion. Season with lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Divide the spinach leaves onto salad plates, and top with the quinoa salad. Garnish with the avocado slices to serve.
- Measure out the dry quinoa. After cooking, 1 cup of dried quinoa will expand to about 3 cups of quinoa.
- Rinse the quinoa well under cold water in a fine mesh sieve (the seeds/grains are quite small). Put the quinoa in a saucepan and add cold water. Use 2 cups of water for every cup of quinoa. Add a pinch of salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil. As soon as it starts to boil, turn the heat down to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. The quinoa should look slightly translucent when it’s cooked.
- If the quinoa is tender but there is excess water in the bottom of the saucepan, take the lid off until the water evaporates. When done, turn off the heat and put the lid on and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Use a fork to fluff up the quinoa and serve.